Sunday, August 16, 2009

YES!


I am very excited to report that the administration at my school is interested in my making this art club a reality for my students and me. I envision a 1/2 hour after school club where the children get to learn about Haitian art, music and culture and of course get to make the hearts that will sell to support the young artists at ACFFC in Jacmel. This past June, one of my 8th graders had some time on his hands and asked if he could make some hearts. He brought me his work when he was finished and said, "Hey...I made almost 30 hearts." I said, "You're holding one month's wages for 1/3 of the developing world." His mouth just fell open. "Really? One whole month? I made one whole month? That's amazing." Like all the other "kids" I've talked to about this, he just inherently GOT it.
(Photo: Market in Jacmel, Haiti)

No comments: