Monday, August 16, 2010

When in Doubt, PAINT!


Bisque-fired hearts, hand painted and varnished, August 2010

School starts again in just over a week, and all the staff there are hard at work getting everything ready. Part of that work is applying no less than seven layers of wax to the floors. As such, I don't really have access to the kiln to do glaze fires of the hearts. What to do?

There were only 2 little hearts and one ornament left at the museum when I went to visit last week!
I searched my home-studio and found a small cache of bisque fired hearts. I thought I'd give it a go with just painting them to tide us over till I can get back to the kiln. I think they turned out pretty well. I used heavy duty polyurethane to varnish and protect them. After a day or so of curing-time, I was pretty convinced the paint wasn't going to get damaged, even with lots of handling.

We dropped the hearts off yesterday. It was then that Ted Frankel, the owner of The Sideshow gift shop of the American Visionary Arts Museum, informed me that he just sent a $500.00 check off to Art Creation Foundation for Children from sales of the hearts!!! Wahoooo!! I went straight home that night to start another small set of painted hearts. VERY soon, I will be back with the very generous, talented students of Patapsco Middle School, and we'll be able to fire up that kiln again!

No comments: